Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Lie on the ground and see

I love it when people say things incorrectly.
Well, actually I hate it...it almost gives me a twitch.
But it's pretty entertaining when I know that they're saying something totally different.

My most recent observation in this department:

low and behold.

Sorry. That's incorrect. Try again. Lose 3 points. Take 1 step back.

It's actually lo and behold. It means literally look and see.
As an idiom, it actually has bit more fervor, making it more of an exclamation or intriguing proclamation.

But when you say it wrong--"low" and behold, instead of look and see, you're saying something along the lines of, "get on the ground and see.

I told him to clean up and when I walked in the door, lo and behold (I looked and saw!!): a spotless home.
 
OR
 
I told him to clean up and when I walked in the door, low and behold ( I lay on the carpeted floor and saw): a spotless home.
 
Now that I think about it though, if Scott cleaned the house spotless while I was gone, I'm more likely to end up lying on the floor from shock than just looking around.

1 comment:

  1. I'm pretty sure I probably said "low and behold" ... haha. I can't say that I really knew it was lo and behold and not low and behold, but I totally understand how silly low and behold is instead of lo and behold. :) I will never make that mistake again! :) :) :) and if I ever see someone write low and behold, I will laugh at them. :)

    ReplyDelete

Questions or Comments? It's all you...